Standards of Teaching
All tutors who are approved to teach on MoocLab agree to our Tutor Terms of Service. In addition to our Tutor Terms of Service, we ask that all tutors adhere to our Tutor Code of Conduct.
The MoocLab Tutor Code of Conduct serves as general teaching guidelines for all MoocLab Tutors (both Professional Teachers and Community Tutors) The purpose of our MoocLab Tutor Code of Conduct is to:
- Encourage the highest standards of behaviour for all tutors in their relationships with MoocLab students by setting out clear statements of expectation
- Provide a set of principles to guide tutors in their everyday conduct and assist them when interacting and teaching MoocLab students
As our tutors come from all over the world and may adhere to different cultural norms, our MoocLab Tutor Code of Conduct has been created based on universal accepted standards of respect and tolerance. It does not cover every specific situation but provides guidelines for ethical and professional behaviour.
MoocLab Code of Conduct
Be Culturally Sensitive: Respect the values and traditions of your Students
Until you build a stronger rapport with your student, try to avoid asking the following questions (unless specifically requested by the student) during your teaching sessions:
- Personal life Avoid asking students if they are married and or single (i.e. Do you have a girlfriend / boyfriend?)
- Politics Avoid asking students about their political affiliations
- Religion Avoid asking students about their religious views
Be Patient and Polite
It is important to be patient and polite and help Students through their learning. Encourage them! Do not discourage them.
- Do not berate, yell or insult students Do not tell them they are dumb or insult their current ability
- Do not use rude or foul language Teach using respectful language and professional courtesy
- Do not lose your temper with a student If you are not sure that you will be able to handle a situation with composure, you are welcome to contact MoocLab (firstname.lastname@example.org) or to suggest that the student contact MoocLab to resolve the issue.
Provide Professional Service
As tutors on MoocLab students are paying for your services. Tutors must take the initiative in communicating with and managing students. Professionalism includes:
- Responsiveness Be prompt in replying to student questions and sessions requests.
- Responsibility and Reliability Maintain your calendar to accurately reflect the times you can be available for lessons. Prioritize the commitments you make with your students, only rescheduling or cancelling when necessary and after communicating with your student. If you know you’ll be away and unable to respond to students, take the responsibility to notify your students of your absence and update your profile accordingly.
- Respect for Student Privacy Recording audio or video of students is not acceptable without the student’s prior written or recorded consent. MoocLab recommends requesting and receiving written permission through MoocLab’s private messages as a way of clearly showing that you have permission. It is a violation of privacy to publicly post a recording of another person without that person’s written permission.
- Initiate Sessions on Time Tutors should always initiate contact with students, particularly if it is a first time student. Tutors should be the first to send out a SKYPE invitation and also be the first to initiate contact with the student via SKYPE BEFORE the session begins.
- End Sessions on Time Tutors should politely let students understand that their sessions are ending by reminding their session will be coming to a close 5 – 10 minutes before the session ends. You can always politely tell the student you need to prepare for an upcoming session with another student.
- Actively manage Your Profile Regularly check in to answer messages, adjust your time availability schedule and update your status. If you plan to take time off, update your profile accordingly to remove yourself from active tutor listings.
- Communicate your policies to your students Please make sure that [your own teaching policies] conform to these MoocLab Tutor Policies and Code of Conduct, and communicate them clearly on your resource page so your students know what to expect ahead of time.
Violations of MoocLab’s Policy or Terms of Service
MoocLab reserves the right to deactivate tutor accounts that are found to be in violation of MoocLab’s tutoring policy. If you are concerned that something you’re doing might be considered a violation, please contact MoocLab to ask first.
Major tutor account violations include, but are not limited to:
- Violations of MoocLab Community Guidelines
- Violations of MoocLab’s Tutor Code of Conduct
- MoocLab System Policy Violations
MoocLab tutors are part of the MoocLab Community. Please help us maintain a positive environment.
DO NOT engage in spamming, disrespectful language, obscenities, theft of personal information, etc.
Click to read MoocLab’s Community Guidelines
As an online educator on MoocLab, students around the world are trusting you. Be timely, professional, and responsible in your communications with students both on MoocLab and during teaching sessions. If you will be away and unable to respond, take the necessary steps to inform students and update your profile accordingly. MoocLab’s Tutor Code of Conduct is outlined at the top of this page.
- Provide or post false, misleading, inaccurate, or plagiarized information (includes profile, course content, lesson history, feedback, etc).
- Request others to provide or post false, misleading, inaccurate, plagiarized, or private information.
- Sell your services for free or in exchange for feedback
- Advertise or promote competing services
- Do not post private contact information or information that could lead MoocLab students to book or pay for lessons outside of the MoocLab platform.
- Neglect to maintain your MoocLab Tutor profile with complete, accurate, and updated information
- Violate the MoocLab Policy and Terms of Service as provided below:
MoocLab Tutor Policies
If you do not agree with the guidelines above and to the policies outlined below, please do not become a MoocLab Tutor.
We recognize there are different views on these issues, but these are the official policies at MoocLab, and we reserve the right to deactivate your tutor profile if your use of MoocLab is found to be in violation of these guidelines or policies.
As a MoocLab Tutor, you agree to the following:
The important Tutor Policies have been highlighted below (reference the above documents for details):
Providing your Tutoring Services on MoocLab
MoocLab encourages open, complete and professional communication between Students and Tutors. Open communication helps Tutors to develop relevant curriculum and Students to make informed decisions. In the event of a dispute, all written communication on MoocLab will serve as the record for resolution of the dispute.
Complete the Tutor registration process, providing true, accurate, complete information. Update your information to maintain its truthfulness, accuracy and completeness. From time to time, your Member Account may be subject to verification as well as editorial and feedback reviews. MoocLab can suspend or terminate your Member Account upon the discovery that any information you provided or posted is not complete or accurate, or as a result of other violations of the Terms of Service.
Guidelines for Providing your Services
You agree to utilize the following service provider guidelines:
- Once you have received a tutoring request, use MoocLab to manage the request and to maintain an electronic record of all written communication between you and the Student around scope, deliverables, time frames, price, feedback, revisions, schedule changes, vacation, availability, delays, acceptance of deliverables and completion of sessions. Also, keep a record of relevant outside emails, instant messages, telephone or in-person conversations between you and the Buyer to maintain a record of what is agreed. In the event of a dispute, all written communication will serve as the statement of record.
- Inform the Student of your availability and committed response time.
- Inform the Student if a committed deliverable will be missed, offering an explanation and proposing a revised date.
- Inform the Student if you will be unavailable for more than one business day.
- If you are unable to complete a session, alert MoocLab of the situation so we can offer assistance to the Student.
- Respond promptly, within 1 business day, to all session-related communication, whether from the Student or from MoocLab.
- Maintain the privacy of your personal financial Account details; maintain a record of all invoices and payments; and, in the event of a problem, have access to MoocLab’s Dispute Resolution process.
- Report any rating system violation by contacting MoocLab
- Report any students violating policy by contacting MoocLab
Violation of these guidelines may result in suspension or termination of your Account. If you are found or suspected to be cooperating with another site user who is violating MoocLab or legal policies, then this will affect your account as well. MoocLab reserves the right to suspend or terminate accounts suspected of illegal and/or suspicious behaviour. If you are aware of a potential violation, please contact MoocLab to report it.
Cancellation and Refunds
MoocLab encourages tutors and students to communicate, reach an agreement, and settle issues together. However, in the event that a disagreement or reported problem is raised to be a Dispute and MoocLab is asked to mediate, we will use the guidelines outlined in the Terms of Service. MoocLab’s decision on the dispute is final. Please note that in the case of a dispute, it is up to the tutor and the student to provide proof to MoocLab to support their positions.
MoocLab charges a 20% fee on payments for Tutoring Services. This figure is also rounded up. This fee is deducted from the payment made to the tutor when a lesson is confirmed by the student.
Why does MoocLab charge 20%?
MoocLab is free for tutors to sign up and create a profile; MoocLab charges a 20% commission per lesson taught. This fee is charged for use of the MoocLab platform and services, and also due to the marketing cost of acquiring new students to the platform. You are only charged when you tutor a session, so you will only be charged when you’re making money teaching on MoocLab.
Do not take students off of MoocLab or accept payment outside of the MoocLab system.
MoocLab does not tolerate tutors trying to take MoocLab students off of MoocLab or accepting payments outside of the MoocLab system. Advertising lessons outside of the system or avoiding the MoocLab scheduling and payment systems may be grounds for your account being suspended or deactivated. MoocLab will also confiscate any earned funds. Do not do this.
If a student contacts you asking about lessons outside of the MoocLab system, please remind the student that lessons must be scheduled and paid for through MoocLab, and report the student to MoocLab by reporting the student’s account or contacting MoocLab
Do not promote competing tutoring services
MoocLab understands and accepts that tutors may not teach exclusively on MoocLab and may work full or part time at other tutoring companies.
However, when teaching on MoocLab, tutors are not allowed to promote or represent these other companies. If you are promoting another company, particularly a competing company, this will lead to your account being deactivated, forfeiture of your earned payments, and deletion of your history.
If you need to report a violation of Site Policies, have any questions or need assistance, please contact MoocLabBecome a Tutor