Ask a question

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Yes , that is exactly what I mean . But with Moodle limited number, now I want to allow large number of student to access this course can I call in this case MOOC with Moodle?
I want to implement the concept of MOOC in Moodle.
Yes, absolutely. See my last post - Moodle are hosting their own MOOC on Moodle!

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Yes , that is exactly what I mean . But with Moodle limited number, now I want to allow large number of student to access this course can I call in this case MOOC with Moodle?
I want to implement the concept of MOOC in Moodle.
You may also want to check out Open edX
"The Open edX platform is a free--and open source--course management system (CMS) that was originally developed by edX. The Open edX platform is used all over the world to host Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) as well as smaller classes and training modules."

rose student

You may also want to check out Open edX:
"The Open edX platform is a free--and open source--course management system (CMS) that was originally developed by edX. The Open edX platform is used all over the world to host Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) as well as smaller classes and training modules."

Carolyn I really appreciate your help.. Thanks

rose student

Hi Carolyn

Can I find any references or articles prove that any university in the world implement MOOC in it is environment based on e-learning or Moodle?

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager

rose student

Hi Carolyn

What is importance of MOOC to solve elearning complexities and limitations in university?
Are there specific reasons?

Many Thanks

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Hi Carolyn

What is importance of MOOC to solve elearning complexities and limitations in university?
Are there specific reasons?

Many Thanks
One of the great advantages for universities in using MOOCs is their global reach. Rather than restricting an online course to a small group of learners, MOOCs provide an opportunity for networking and social/peer learning that the closed e-learning structure doesn't. It is also an opportunity for the university to promote their institution and provide a stepping stone to gain more campus enrolments.
On the flip side, instructors cannot provide the same level of support to learners in a MOOC that they can in a closed course.
In combining the two structures however, universities are increasingly using MOOCs in a blended learning format for their campus-based courses where the students are required to follow a MOOC module for example prior to classroom discussion on the topic. This frees up an instructors time who can then spend less time "lecturing" and more time engaged in constructive discussion and teaching in the classroom.

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Can we consider MOOC as course management system?
What is the difference between CMS and LMS?
I would say CMS relates more to the MOOC format as it focuses on the course content. LMS is used more for managing the learners within an organization, tracking learning and performance reporting. There is however some overlap between the two systems.
To understand the difference, these articles explain it quite well:
Course Management System VS Learning Management System | LearnDash
LMS vs LCMS vs CMS...changing one letter makes a big difference.
View: http://www.slideshare.net/ebloomsie/lms-vs-cms-a-summary

LMS and LCMS: What's the Difference? - eFront Blog

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
In this link:
Features of a MOOC - UAB Barcelona
talk about features in MOOC, Ms do you think that these features can be available in e-learning?
What is the main features in MOOC that could not be found in e-learning?
Features of a MOOC vs e-learning:

All types of e-learning:

Autonomy

The structure is conceived to promote autonomous learning with a number of resources in the form of videos, links, documents, etc. and spaces for debate and communication.

On line
To take these courses all you need is a computer, internet connections and the use of a global web server. You can learn at home conveniently, flexibly and at your own pace.
N.B. Some e-learning courses don't require an internet connection

MOOCs only:

Massive
The number of places on courses is unlimited, the scope is global and the courses are aimed at people with different interests and aspirations.

Open and Free
The course materials are available on internet and are all completely free. Students just have to register beforehand.

rose student

Thanks Ms.

one more points I want to make sure from it

in terms of size of network:
is right that e-learning has only big server? and on the side, MOOC has many server such server for DB, server for user profile or not?

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
Thanks Ms.

one more points I want to make sure from it

in terms of size of network:
is right that e-learning has only big server? and on the side, MOOC has many server such server for DB, server for user profile or not?
Yes, typically MOOC platforms would run on multiple servers.