Where do CS50 servers rest?

Quora Feeds

Tommy MacWilliam

CS50 uses Amazon AWS. We have a VPC with dedicated application servers, database servers, and build servers. CS50 and CS50x are partitioned into separate clusters, and our software is designed to support multiple instances at the application level. Our static assets live on Cloudfront, which is a dedicated CDN.

All CS50 servers are named with Pokémon references. Application servers are named after the original 151 Pokémon themselves, database servers are named after badges, and build servers are named after towns. This was clear to everyone on the team except Malan, who regularly asked if "Pallet" was a town or a badge. Whenever I needed to debug anything, I obviously defaulted to using Charizard. We don't have as many servers as Pokémon, unfortunately.

We used to use a few servers on the first floor of Maxwell Dworkin. This was a while ago, but I believe they were Dell blade servers. (They were definitely shiny.) These were named after characters from the Simpsons; Itchy and Scratchy were the important ones. I remember once sprinting to MD when our course site was down the day before projects were due because a hard drive had died. Moving to EC2 was definitely a net positive.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...