Mayank: Solving Real-Life Supply Chain Network Design Problems

edX Blog

We are excited to continue to share learner stories from the MITx Supply Chain Management MicroMasters program that demonstrate how MicroMasters programs are helping people improve their lives and advance their careers.

Today, Mayank, a supply chain consultant working with Antuit Consulting, shares how he is leveraging the Supply Chain Management MicroMasters courses to deliver impactful results and share effective business insights with his clients.

With new enhancements in computational capabilities, it is becoming easier for businesses to tackle complex big-data optimization and forecasting problems. The supply chain industry has significantly benefited from these advancements to improve planning, thereby enhancing overall operational efficiency.

I work as a supply chain consultant in network optimization, a field that is directly impacted by the increase in big-data, because as the volume of data grows, the bandwidth of the network a company is using to transfer that data must also grow. I have contributed to some key projects such as strategic network optimization for a U.S. based food and beverage company, freight procurement optimization for a U.K. based pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare company and tactical network optimization for a U.S. based global dairy giant.

During these and several other projects, I observed that the fundamental idea driving success for any optimization or forecasting exercise depends on two key factors: efficiency in modeling real-world business challenges using mathematical constraints and presentation of model outputs to key business users in insight-driven business language.

In order to learn more about these key success factors, I enrolled in the MITx Supply Chain Management MicroMasters program. I started by completing Supply Chain Design and then went on to complete the Dynamics and Analytics courses. I am currently enrolled in Supply Chain Fundamentals and plan to complete the Technology and Systems course, as well. These courses have been an eye-opening experience for me and have introduced me to global practices as well as challenges faced across different pockets of supply chain.

The lectures from Dr. Chris Caplice on network design have significantly improved my ability to transform complex business requirements into efficient mathematical models and to translate the output into an insight-driven business language. With the help of financial analysis lectures from Professors James Blayney Rice Jr. and Jarrod Goentzel, I have effectively used models to convey financial benefits to my clients. The discussions on business sustainability and disruption from Professor Yossi Sheffi have enriched my ability to help clients develop network models that are suitable for their long-term sustainable needs.

I strongly believe that MIT’s Supply Chain Management MicroMasters program faculty has a deep understanding of various industry domains, and the courses provide a platform to boost your career and put you the forefront of research in supply chain management.

In my opinion, every professional aspiring to build a career in supply chain should take the Supply Chain Management MicroMasters courses. I would highly recommend the content and teaching methodology as one of the most effective ways of learning the core concepts of supply chain.

Start the MITx Supply Chain Management MicroMasters program. The first course, Supply Chain Analytics, begins March 15 and is open for enrollment today!

The post Mayank: Solving Real-Life Supply Chain Network Design Problems appeared first on edX Blog.

Continue reading...