Is it worth it to study machine learning via Udacity?

Quora Feeds

Roman Trusov

I am willing to go against the majority here and say that any MOOC is not worth the time (and sometimes money) you spend on it.

If we get a really good MOOC that would make you into a good ML engineer, people would drop out of it at an alarming rate, leaving bad reviews and spreading horror stories about the assumed 60 hours/week workload.

I totally agree with Håkon Hapnes Strand that the nanodegree won’t get you a job per se, but it won’t even give you enough knowledge to be competitive, simply because there’s so much to learn. It’s doable, but not in their pace.

Shifting your focus towards ML at your current job is a better plan if you don’t want to overstretch yourself. But the actual time you’ll spend trying to get the attention of big companies can still be rather long because of the competition. The numbers of applicants HR is sifting through every week are frightening.

To get the interview you need only one very strong, very compelling thing on your resume. And a certificate that’s available for everyone who is willing to spend a few hours a week coding is not one of those things. You will be better off if you utilize your experience as a software engineer rather than become a part-time student. Studying should be a full-time activity if that’s what you want to do.

Top companies always get top talent because it stands in line there. The line is too long - to cut it, you need to do something so extraordinary that will probably make you question the very decision of working for someone else.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

Quora Feeds

Håkon Hapnes Strand

Online courses are great, and I wholeheartedly recommend them. But they’re only great for actually learning. You’re not going to attract attention from any companies merely on the basis of having completed a few of them.

Employers hiring data scientists are looking for people with hands-on experience in solving real problems, and I’m sorry to say that a nanodegree alone won’t do it, even when coupled with your extensive software engineering experience.

However, you could use the skills that you pick up while pursuing the nanodegree to actually start using machine learning in real projects. Convince your employer to embed machine learning in one of you applications or whatever you’re working on. That will get the attention of high-tech companies. And even if that’s not possible, you can always make an app or something as a side project that uses machine learning to do something cool.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...