Is it worth it to pay for a Coursera specialization?

Quora Feeds

Joan Figuerola

I started the Data Science Specialization on Coursera and I gave up after the fourth module. Reasons:
  • The material is too superficial. It's not a specialization, it's an introduction. It should be called "Introduction to Data Science With R".
  • The specialization is done in R and I don't like it for several reasons that I'm not going to cover here.
  • I doubt that you can get a Data Science related job just with that specialization.
Sure having those certificates make your CV look very fancy but the truth is that it hasn't made an impact. The last 9-page research paper I read has made more impact than the 4 Coursera modules in the Data Science specialization. It took me 1h to understand the paper as opposed to 4 months to complete the 4 modules.

In my opinion, Coursera is good to get an introduction to topics and then you can extend upon that base. I did the Machine Learning course and I'm currently doing the Introduction to Recommender Systems and they are good.

However, if you get a book about the topic you're interested in, you'll have the introduction and the advanced stuff in the same place explained by the same authors.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

Quora Feeds

John Brew

For me, the answer is yes, however, it depends on what you want to get from the specialization. I just completed the Neuroscience: Perception, Action and the Brain that was offered by Duke University. I must say that I learned a lot about neuroscience and I enjoyed the capstone project which had me assemble a research proposal.

This specialization helped me to confirm I would like to continue studying neuroscience and helped me narrow my focus (the retina and optic nerve). I am an older student, returning to school, with aspirations to do neurophysiology research after working as an engineer for 30 years, so I didn't have the expectation of the specialization finding me a new job. I will certainly use what I learned to help me find the right graduate program.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...