Is it more valuable to self study a topic for little money, or pay a lot of money to sit a...

Quora Feeds

Jay Bazzinotti

There used to be a commercial on TV where Abraham Lincoln is standing before a fat, greasy hiring manager who is chomping on a sandwhich. Lincoln is apparently looking for a job.
"What kind of education you got?" asks the fat employment manager
"Well, I've done a lot of reading," says Lincoln, "Sort of on my own."
"Listen," says the manager, "You know you're a smart guy. I know you're a smart guy. But you ain't goin' nowhere without that sheepskin!"

It was a publice service message to kids to stay in school and be graduated but the message is the same. If you can present some kind of certificate to a company that shows you studied SEO then you are much better off than just going to a company and claiming you took a few Khan Academy courses in SEO on Youtube and now you are "knowledgeable". At least the first time around. After you get a job and become proficient in SEO under the aegis of some corporate logo, you can describe your experience and accomplishments on your resume and the certification is not as important -- but it still helps.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...