How long does it take to complete Khan Academy's entire mathematics course starting at algebra?

Quora Feeds

Clayton Perkins

I cannot answer your question perfectly, but I can give you an anecdote...

First, a little about me. I have an MBA and have always been above-average in math. My highest-level course is 2nd-year calculus in college. I have over 1M points on Kahn Academy, primarily in Mathematics. I decided at the beginning of the 2015 to start at the very beginning and work through all of the math questions. I'm doing this primarily to rebuild my foundations so I can move into complex statistics and calculus with a firm understanding of the basics.

At the time of writing this, I have completed 100% of math through the 7th grade mission. This includes very rudimentary things like counting, but also a good amount of algebra as well. I've noticed that as I progress it simply takes more time. There are certain concepts that I needed/wanted to understand more completely, so I took my time on those. Others I just breezed through.

Now for some data...
  • Over 15 days I spent 23h:18m in skills, 3h:14m in videos.
  • I am now 53% complete with all of math in KA.
  • This is a chart with my 'velocity' ...

main-qimg-d1375280c081c62e68dde6aa08d23b0e

After the initial high of 2.8 skills per minute of study, it dropped down to an average of .44 skills per minute. Over time I'm guessing this will drop further, perhaps a tenth. At one-tenth the speed it will take me about 187 hours to complete the rest of the missions. I even feel this is high, so I am shooting for completion within an additional 500 hours.

One calculation you should keep in mind... In college-level math classes it is not uncommon for a professor to say you should spend 4 hours out of class studying for every hour in class. Over a single 14-week semester with 3 hours of in-class instruction and 12 hours of homework per week, you will spend roughly 210 hours studying that single topic, like integral calculus. Counting the top-five missions of KA (all calculus, differential equations, linear algebra) that is over 1,000 hours (not to mention statistics).

Needless to say, tackling all of the math in KA is a massive undertaking. But, as I'm half way through it I can definitely say it is worth it!

Like Doug Massey said, the answer for you will depend on your level of math experience, natural ability, and determination.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...