What online courses should/can a non-CS student take in order to become relatively...

T

Top Answers About

Scott Danzig

Coursera's the way to go for "more than just programming", although I certainly went the traditional route myself. Here's the courses I see that would be worth considering to get to a Bachelor's level of CS education:
Well, I looked over the course descriptions of Coursera and Open Courseware and picked out a decent CS-curriculum. I went with mostly Coursera because Open Courseware is more of a "take it or leave it" deal:

Coursera
  • Computer Science 101
  • Learn to Program: The Fundamentals
  • Computer Architecture
  • Introduction to Logic
  • Algorithms: Design and Analysis, Part 1
  • Algorithms, Part 1 (Concentrates more on data structures)
  • Algorithms, Part 2
  • Compilers
  • Programming Languages
  • Introduction to Databases
  • Computer Security
  • Cryptography I

Open Courseware
  • Computer Graphics
  • Operating System Engineering
  • Distributed Algorithms

I'm only going to do so much for you, but on top of this, if you wanted to match what you generally get in CS, you'd want to take two courses on calculus, plus another on multivariable calculus, and probably one on differential equations. Also one on linear algebra and another on discrete math. Most CS majors take some sciences too, like chemistry or physics. If you're doing this on your own, that's up to you. And if you wanted to be sillier, you can throw on some online psych courses for your "electives" :)

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...