What is it like to attend Stanford University Online High School?

Quora Feeds

Allison Tam

My experience may be an outlier. While enrolled full-time in a public high school, I attended Stanford's OHS for the sole purpose of one class, Data Structures & Algorithms. This was the first year the school offered this course, and I believe it was with a relatively new professor who had not taught high school students previously. Because of the novelty, the course was far more lax than the regular OHS courses.

Nonetheless, OHS challenged me in ways that my public school did not. In the moment, it was almost like any other class with lectures and homework assignments. However, in retrospect, I had grown significantly as a programmer, because OHS demanded so much from its students.

However, as with any online education community, the social aspect was a bit lacking. OHS does have a student government with a sizable amount of clubs. Occasionally, there were school sponsored hangouts. I appreciated that they were open to me, but because I was rather far geographically, I had never really partaken in the social aspect of OHS.

Putting that all aside, OHS was wonderful and worked with me, because it offered great flexibility. Classes were recorded and could be accessed at a later period of time, which was super helpful when it came to studying for midterms/finals. The professors were open and friendly. They even held office hours! The OHS experience wasn't about grades. It was about learning, an attitude I truly appreciate. I'm definitely glad I had the opportunity to take data structures there.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...