What are some unorthodox entrepreneurial alternatives to college?

Quora Feeds

Charles Tips

College!? Too late. The time to bow out is high school if not sooner.

Our oldest walked out of open night at the local high school with his index fingers in an X... No Go. "What'r'ya gonna do?" I asked. "Homeschool." "Not legal in California." "I'll create my own school then," and at 14 he marched down to the courthouse and filed a "doing business as" form for a school in which he was principal, teacher and sole student.
  • While his buds had their butts parked in a desk studying grammar, he was helping the former art director of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre shoot music videos including an impromptu meeting with George Bush in the Texas capitol building.
  • While his buds had their butts parked in a desk studying Spanish, he was helping an author interview children throughout the Maya, in Spanish, Quiche, Mam and Yucatec for her book and assisting a 95-year-old Maya priest in driving evil spirits out of dwellings.
  • While his buds had their butts parked in a desk studying geometry, he was captaining a dive boat on the Vierwaldstaetterzee in Luzern as the dive team mapped mining wrecks from the previous century.
  • While his buds had their butts parked in a desk studying geography, he was in Cuba making a documentary of a high school class visiting there.
With ten years as a freelance cameraman under his belt, including two primetime Emmys, and a sideline of renting out the cutting-edge cameras and equipment he's been purchasing, he's set. His life is one long vacation at exotic locales with colorful people for which he is highly paid.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...