To what extent will online education replace brick-and-mortar education in the next 10 years?

Quora Feeds

Peter Baskerville

Addressing the higher ed. market, I will answer the question with a related question:
"To what extent did online blogging replace bricks&mortar newspapers in the last 5 years?"​

The growing list of newspaper closures around the world and the fast shrinking pool of professional journalists employed in the bricks&mortar newspapers, suggests that the change has been life-threatening in terms of the shift from professional journalists in bricks&mortar businesses to online bloggers with virtual publishing websites.

Clearly the informal online content has become the preferred choice for users for creating and sharing news and opinions over the previously dominant formal bricks&mortar model. See LinkedIn's summary of changes that have occurred between 2007 and 2011 in the various industries with internet/e-learning at the top and newspapers at the bottom of the list. http://blog.linkedin.com/2012/03...
As I see it, the educational revolution in higher ed. will emulate the journalist/newspaper model where people will chose to learn directly from industry domain experts who use the internet to convert their vast intellectual capital into digital learning products that they then profitably share with the world.

My prediction is that within 10 years, the informal online learning of work skills directly from industry domain experts will become the learning method of choice over the formal bricks&mortar model currently in play. Just as the internet with its tools made everyone a global journalist and a publishing house, so too will it make everyone a global teacher capable of teaching a course with authority in their own area of expertise and in their own online virtual institution.

Ogilvy & Mather with their link up with SkillShare.com is a case in point of industry connecting directly with students and so by-passing the bricks&mortar institutions as they provide relevant, accessible, timely learning at a fraction of the cost of existing educational models.http://online.wsj.com/article/PR...

The education revolution in higher ed. the next 10 years will not be led by the current bricks&mortar vested interests but will rather be totally disrupted by workskillers and teacherpreneurs who will exist outside of the institutions but who use the internet to connect directly with the hungry learners of the planet as Thrun from Udacity.com and the team at Udemy.com have done.

The disruption will start with the 4.2 billion working age people on the planet who have been previously denied access to higher ed. due to cost and geographic location but who can now access this knowledge for a fraction of the cost of existing offers and from any part of the world connected to the internet. It won't be pretty in its inception which is why the existing players will dismiss it as non-threatening but the sheer weight of numbers in the new paradigm compared to the mere 300 million people on the planet who have currently attained a college education, will eventually see it attract all the key resources including the best and most passionate teachers (teacherpreneurs) and global domain experts who will profit from their experience.

Just like the industrial revolution of 150 years ago, I believe that higher ed. learners will vote with their feet and simply walk out of the institutions for something more relevant and rewarding from teacherpreneurs and industry experts online ... and just like the century's old newspapers, my view is that the impact of online learning on bricks&mortar higher ed. institutions will be similarly 'life-threatening'.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...