Is the new online course Tackling the Challenges of Big Data offered by MIT useful for a...

Quora Feeds

Samuel Madden

I am one of the lecturers for this course. This is not a course designed to teach you programming tools, but rather a course to expose you to a broad set of technologies (including databases, parallel data processing frameworks, scalable algorithms, machine learning, and privacy/security) that can be brought to bear if you are faced with a data processing problem. The lectures will cover both "traditional" approaches as well as emerging technologies, and provide pointers to research projects, papers, source code, commercial and open source projects, etc.

I believe this material will be valuable to anyone with a technical background, because it is very, very hard for non-experts to synthesize the huge number of data-processing techniques and algorithms that have been developed in the past few years. This course will provide background knowledge and distillation of key ideas in a wide range of topics, as well as access to discussion forums, that will give students the necessary skills to understand these topics and the opportunity to discuss and ask questions from experts.

Although it is true that programming assignments would allow students to go deeper on a few topics, there is no way that we could offer the same breadth or exposure in a programming based class, and we would limit the audience to students with significant prior programming experience.

I also believe that for many students the value in taking a class such as this is that it allows them to establish themselves as authorities on an extremely timely topic within their organization.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...