Is Khan Academy overrated?

Quora Feeds

Skylar Payne

For the most part, I think online learning is overrated. But I would say that, relative to online learning, Khan Academy is underrated.

For me, the greatest failure of online learning is that it's not divisible enough. This is fine for people who don't have other, suitable education opportunities. However, I may have confusion on a small bit and don't want to watch an hour long lecture to find it. Sure, Coursera and other MOOCs are starting to split the lecture videos down by topic, but they still aren't self contained. Often to understand you have to go back earlier to understand a notation. This is because the lecture was made as that complete 1-2 hour lecture. Khan Academy makes each video address a specific topic in a very self contained way.

This coupled with the analysis they do to determine what you need to focus on makes it a much better tool than most other forms of online learning. It's weakness at the moment is completeness. It really only feels this way for mathematics up to lower division mathematics. But I think they have a hell of a good model to build on as they expand.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...