Why do so many beginner programmers think they should build everything from scratch?

Quora Feeds

Jess White

In my personal experience as a programming student, it's because we don't yet KNOW how to do it any other way. In all of my computer classes so far, we have written all our programs from scratch. Granted, most of our programs have been under 250 lines of code to this point, so we haven't yet written a program so big that we are like 'WTF, there has to be a simpler, faster way to do this."

Not to mention that we don't know what we don't know yet. i.e: We haven't even talked about the subject of frameworks, let alone taught how to use them.

I understand in the very beginning stages, you are taught to write it from scratch so you can learn the basics and build a foundation / see how the program works by doing it from the ground up; however, I do think at some point it should show you other methods to make the process easier/faster.

So, it's not that we want or think it's better to write everything from scratch, we just don't know another way yet.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...