What study strategies did you use to manage such a demanding workload across many...

Quora Feeds

Salman Khan

My best tip is to try to learn the material well before you have to know it in class.

Classes move at a fixed paced. This tends to be ok most places since the pace is reasonable. MIT, on the other hand, intentionally keeps the pace much faster as a kind of challenge. That is why it is not unusual to see 1600 SATs or valedictorians fail classes there.

I was able to get my first exposure to rigorous classes like multivariable calculus, differential equations, partial differential equations, linear algebra, and programming as part of a joint program between my high school and the University of New Orleans. Then when I saw the same topics (at a more rigorous level) at MIT, it was much more digestible.

Another tip is to really question whether lecture is the best use of your time. If you have the discipline to go to the library and study intently for that hour (or work on a problem set), you’ll probably find it is a better use of your time than falling asleep in a 300-person lecture.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...