What is the best way to self-learn programming: Watching YouTube videos and doing the...

Quora Feeds

Bryan Dimas

Listen to someone who has been there and done that –and succeeded–.

I spent about 2 years teaching myself programming (from html and css to embedded electronics in C++). My biggest regret during that timeframe is not shooting for actual results. I had my head all wrapped around theory and it was useful at times and satisfactory always but nobody cares if you have not done anything useful with your knowledge. It's like claiming that you're a writer when you're just an avid reader. Software Development is about creating.

In terms of what resources to glean from?

I hate to say this but it depends—mostly on your preferred style of learning. There is a mind-boggling amount of resources out there for beginners. But remember to go after those which are project-based not theoretical. "Make shit and break shit" is the single best piece of advice I ever received in my early days. It's gotten me far.

YouTube videos/tutorials VS searching on the internet and building your own stuff? Build your own stuff that way if you can! It would be the most efficient and effective way but build a large portfolio of projects either way.

Teaching yourself programming is a monumental goal. It consumes your life if you're serious about it. I love helping people with this, so if you'd like, feel free to reach out to me. Post a follow-up question or whatever.

Good luck!

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...