What can I do to motivate myself for programming regularly for 4-6 hours?

Quora Feeds

Juan Gallardo

4-6 hours is what I do after I program for 8-10 at my day job lol.

The trick is to find projects that motivate you. It really does not matter what. Build a cat blog, social network for pugs, donut recommendation engine, etc. Just find something that you are either passionate about or makes you laugh. For example I built a Myspace for cats at a cat hackathon

main-qimg-b2a3370a4848cb7045972a5c61e56148

I just had fun with it. And it benefited me over the long run.

Another thing that worked for me was to take on a different language. I had lost passion for iOS programming and Ruby on Rails. Pretty much happened when I ended up at a corporate job and was working in .net environment. I was so mentally exhausted that I did not want to work on my own projects at home.

So what did I do?

I learned Python (programming language) . I fell in love with its simplicity and being able to actually build something fast motivated me.

it also helps if you surround yourself in a group of passionate programmers. to watch others build with enthusiasm. To actually see the games, sites, apps that they build.

As a student I know that frustration. And it is because it gets boring to code academically. so go work at a startup. take a class on skillshare. go work on an open source project. Go to hackathons.

Nothing more motivating then actually bringing YOUR own creation into reality.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...