What are the best online web development courses?

Quora Feeds

Joel Califa

I've been using Lynda.com for ages. I got a refresher on HTML/CSS, learned javascript, jQuery, PHP, more advanced SQL, and got interesting tips for a lot of Adobe software, which I'd been using for a while, but there's always more to learn.

I've just finished learning Ruby (from Lynda, koans, the poignant guide and some personal projects) and am now learning Rails on it. There's a reason I'm using a combination of sources and my own projects, and there's a reason I'm still using Lynda. The truth is, Lynda will never get you to expert level, nor will any other tutorial site, nor will any book. They don't try to be, either. Most of their tutorials touch on the surface of things, and do it well, giving you a basic understanding of everything and leaving it up to you.

The best way I know to learn a new language or tool is to use it over and over, and get better as you go, and ask a lot of questions on sites like stackexchange (or their codereview site). But Lynda gives you a head start on so many subjects and makes sure your path to a better understanding isn't as difficult as it could be.

To be clear:
  • If you need to learn something for your job interview next week, Lynda is perfect.
  • If you want to become an expert, Lynda won't get you all the way there, but it's a nice start.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...