Using Python to Develop Screen Reader Features: Meet, Bhargav

edX Blog

Bhargav, a test engineer from India, shares how learning on edX helped him develop add-ons for screen readers, participate in multiple Hackathons and get a job.

I have always been interested in computer science: before I started learning on edX, I had already learned to program in C, C++, HTML, PHP, MYSQL and ASP.NET. Through edX, I was able to explore a new programming language by learning Python.

I started taking Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python from MITx in preparation for a Hackathon for the visually impaired hosted by IIT Madras and Vision-Aid. The course provided me with a solid understanding of scripting in Python: after completing the first few lessons of the course, I was able to develop and present a maze game at the Hackathon, which was a great experience. After that, I completed the entire course and earned a verified certificate from edX.

My main goal in taking Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python was to learn how to develop add-ons and implement new features for NVDA, a screen reader. I also wanted to learn how to develop applications that would be useful for people both with and without disabilities.

Learning Python on edX has definitely helped me on my way toward achieving these goals. I am joining the NVDA Developer Community, which will allow me to participate in the development of new features in NVDA. I will also be participating in another Hackathon on the Microsoft campus in Hyderabad, India.

I really enjoyed my first edX course, so I have also started taking HTML and CSS Fundamentals from W3Cx and Conversational English Skills from TsinghuaX. The best part about taking these courses on edX is that I don’t need to worry about time or location restraints: I can learn wherever I want and whenever I want.

I can also access the course materials as many times as I need, so I can make sure that I understand everything I’m learning. Plus, the accessibility of the courses makes edX the perfect platform for me to learn about my interests.

I recently received a job offer for a Test Engineer position at TEKsystems Global Services in Bangalore. The projects I created with the help of edX courses played an important part in my selection for this position, and I can’t wait to use the skills I’ve learned on the job!

The post Using Python to Develop Screen Reader Features: Meet, Bhargav appeared first on edX Blog.

Continue reading...