Is getting a verified certificate from edx MITx worth the money? Do I really need a...

Quora Feeds

Brian Schuster

Until a few years ago, I would have said no, it’s not necessary. Then I met Alex, a data scientist in the area who taught himself programming through courses online. He had gone through the Johns Hopkins University Data Science course through Coursera.

Data Science | Coursera

He decided to spend the money to get the certified course. Then he took all those courses and put them on his LinkedIn. Within a few months a local company called him up to interview. They interviewed him because they needed a Data Scientist and, no kidding, they saw that he went through the Coursera DS course and knew he had the background to do the job.

I now always pay to get the paper cert at the end of the course. While it’s not my highest value effort to improve my career, I have sold business specifically because I was certified (even if just online) in the technology my client’s needed. It helps give them that extra confidence that you know what you’re doing.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...