1. We're here to help you stay connected and progress together. Read about MoocLab's response to COVID-19 ►

Dismiss Notice

If you can go back to that time when you started programming, what would you suggest yourself?

Posted in 'Learning to code' started by Quora Feeds, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Quora Feeds

Quora Feeds Member

Philip Noah

DON'T FIGHT THE LANGUAGE!
    My 'problem' was I taught myself how to program in BASIC when I was in 7th grade. I programmed on my own for 2 years before I took a programming class in High school. Since I knew basic I did a year's worth of assignments in the first semester. I did learn a few things but I kept my 'bad' programming habits. When i started college I took a C programming class and did awful!! I was constantly fighting the language and wanting to program like I did in basic which won't work at all in C ! it is a different mindset. Once I figured out that I had to 'abandon' basic and have an open mind about how a language 'should work' I was able to master C++ in no time, but by that time I was out of school and had wasted 5 years that i could have been a C/C++ developer instead of a PC tech.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

AD Coursera logo Build skills for a top job in any industry. Explore hundreds of business courses on Coursera today. AD Udemy logo You can learn it too! Our top-rated courses now starting at just $11.99.