If linear algebra is so important for data science topics like ML, why aren’t the likes of...

Quora Feeds

William Vicars

I've used all of the resources listed in this post and managed to learn linear algebra pretty quickly. Here are my thoughts:

Coding the Matrix (Coursera): Difficult. Don't start here, especially if you don't know Python. After learning the basics, I benefited greatly from this course and the associated book. Great examples of applications and very rigorous treatment of the fundamental algorithms.

Linear Algebra: Foundations to Frontiers (edX) - Easy. Start here. Good beginners class with a very thorough introduction to basic matrix manipulations and algorithms (coding is in Matlab). Kind of weak on applications and advanced material.

Linear Algebra (MIT, Gilbert Strang) - Intermediate. Brilliant lectures. I never attempted the homeworks or exams, which I imagine are difficult, but I learned a ton just watching the lectures and taking notes.

Applications of Linear Algebra 1 & 2 (edX) - Easy. These are fun courses and very easy. But don't expect to actually learn the algorithms here. This is a high-level overview of some major applications (SVD, Markov chains, linear models, etc.), but the details of the math and algorithms are never explained (Matlab is used as a black box). That being said, I had a lot of fun following this material and did learn a lot.

Introduction to Linear Models and Matrix Algebra (edX) - Intermediate. Part 2 of a brilliant series of courses focusing on data science as applied to high-throughput data. Again, the focus is on applications (statistical applications in this case) not the underlying algorithms. Another course in this series (High-Dimensional Data Anlaysis) focuses on SVD, PCA, factor analysis, etc. Programming is in R.

Khan Academy - Intermediate. I love Khan Academy, but I just couldn't get into this playlist. It's poorly organized and the videos are overly long and not at all focused on applications. It's probably better as a review for those who have already taken linear algebra in the past, or as a supplement for someone taking a proper linear algebra class at a university. I didn't learn much here.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...