I am 80 years old, and I want to learn some server side language like Ruby, Python, Scala,...

Quora Feeds

Shiva Shinde

Glad to hear that from you sir. I can code in Java, C and python, learning Node.js currently.

1. JavaScript
The one unique benefit of JavaScript is that you can use your skill on both the server side and client side.

Learn to code is free open source online community. At I Interview Quincy Larson of Free Code Camp | LetsBSocial you can learn Javascript and earn a certificate as a Full Stack Developer (client + server programming).Many programming languages like Perl, Ruby, Go, Scala, Python and Haskell are used on backend (server side). They both have advantages and disadvantages.

From what I know, languages popularily used on server side are Java, JavaScript (rapidly growing) and C# etc.

main-qimg-c1adccfcbca7b246e1b5ffb198378054-c

My experience is little, but I have no bias, this is just my opinion, most popular technologies as per this Page on stackoverflow.com.
I am assuming that you are not a computer science student. If this is true, I recommend, start your language learning on Learn to code. Here, full stack developer course is absolutely free, including some experience on building real-time software for non-profit organizations. You can also add this in your linkedin profile's education section with skillsets Javascript, Jquery and Node.JS etc. Simultaneously, you can search jobs online.

How long it takes to be a good programmer?
Trust me, to be a decent programmer, it takes not more than 6months. The time is constant no matter whether you are 12 year old or 80 year old (lol, assuming you know some math and english).

Here the best way to accomplish: learn and apply (both are equally important).

Your rate of learning a programming language is directly proportional to how much you apply this skill in building something actual (open source projects or any) not by how much you spent time by taking classes, reading books, especially those online courses etc.
Where there's a will, there is a way, how?

1. Get an internship (unpaid): work for free, there are tons of start-ups (sometimes, not in your case), who are looking desperately for programmers.
  2. You must serve to earn: Don't ask for money (if they give, its fine) for a while, untill you gain a skill. Remember, I am re-iterating, never ask for money when you can't do something. People (companies) pay you out of deep appreciation for your service. You must serve to earn.
  3. Open-source projects: Build software better, together on github.
  4. Personal projects: Do some crazy projects for your own self learning. Like develop an aap, which says hello world for every 3rd person who enters the door (modify the problem, add a sound driver etc). Its super easy. Start with super easy and then increase the level of difficulty.
  5. Virtual developer: You can work for someone in America, India or Africa on some non-profit organizations for free. There are so many government/non-profit organizations looking for web developers.

The only way to learn something in life is to actually do it. Unfortunately, there is no other way, no matter you are rich or poor or blind or sick or whatever. Hard to digest it sometimes.2. Java

3. Python

All the best!!

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...