How can I get my son to stop watching YouTube and start studying?

Quora Feeds

Taylor Ker

Hi! I’m a homeschooler that mostly abandons my curriculum in favor of going my own route when it comes to studying and and general education. For reference, I am thirteen and my test scores from my homeschool evaluator have me testing at the age equivalence of a 30-year-old with things like editing, science, social studies, and humanities.

Why is this all important?

Well, I use a site called Khan Academy to help me with my math — they have many videos that I use to help understand many concepts in math, which is great since math seems to be my weak point — and I tend to use YouTube in order to watch fun, short educational videos that let me briefly learn about a topic before I decide to do some in-depth research.

Actually, when I was ten, watching TedTalks actually used to qualify as a bit of my homeschooling time.

You say that he likes to watch Crash Course? Crash Course has videos on physics, philosophy, economics, U.S. Government and politics, astronomy, psychology, literature, biology, ecology, two series on world history, and even a series on autonomy and physiology! Plus, a lot of public school classrooms actually do use Crash Course as a teaching material, whether it be as a review tool or to start introducing their students to a subject.

He’s watching Khan Academy videos on YouTube? Well, for one, I would direct him over to Khan Academy to see if he wants to work on their math exercises. It’s a really useful tool.

I would honestly argue that he’s doing some form of educating himself by watching these videos.

Are his grades falling? Or, did his grades start to fall and then he started watching these videos? He’s probably honestly trying to become more knowledgable by watching YouTube.

Don’t discourage him. If he’s watching too many of these videos and his homework is being left forgotten, then give him the tools to keep track and manage his time.

If you have any more information or if you want any more information, then please just leave a comment! I’d be happy to talk about how YouTube has helped me in my homeschooling career and how it can help other people.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

Quora Feeds

Varun Chaubey

I saw the question and assumed you were talking about typical entertainment videos that offer little education value.

Then I saw the details. Say wha-?

TED Talks | TED.com

Here is the website for TED Talks. I challenge you to watch at least five videos and tell me that there is nothing educational and useful on this website. Go ahead, I’m waiting.

Khan Academy

This is Khan Academy. In other words, this is what gets students through their final exams when their teachers do not teach to a decent standard. You want him to get good grades? This is the one for him.

‘Random self-help videos’

Oh, you mean videos designed to help people improve themselves and be the best they can be? What is wrong with that?

Listen to me: he IS studying for the future. You are turning him away from it. He is smart enough to look further ahead than you are looking. He knows what’s up. I think you should encourage him instead.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...