How beneficial are EdX Certificates?

MDH

I'd like to know if getting a certificate from EdX will help me in the business world.

Carolyn

Founder at MoocLab
Staff member
Group Manager
I'd like to know if getting a certificate from EdX will help me in the business world.
Two years ago, I would probably have said no, not really. But MOOC certification is gaining ground and employers are increasingly seeing this type of credential as a valid demonstration of commitment and interest in a particular field, as well as evidence that a certain skill has been learned (so long as you can demonstrate you have actually acquired the skill).

EdX partners with some of the top institutions and organisations, and their stamp on the certificate naturally gives it more value. However, as ever, the benefit of gaining a certificate depends on your motivation. If you are taking MOOCs to develop your knowledge for personal reasons, I would say paying for a certificate is pointless. On edX, you still have access to all the course content when just auditing a course. However, if you are taking MOOCs for employment purposes, having a certificate provides proof of your learning to potential employers. Again, though, it is important to remember that being able to demonstrate your skills in real terms has far more value than the certificate itself.

Upvote 0