Degrees and Credentials Built for Today’s Learners

Coursera Blog

Over the last six years, Coursera has become a destination for 31 million registered learners all over the world to learn from the world’s top universities and industry leaders. In addition to 2,600 courses and 236 Specializations, Coursera and our partners are working together to build more valuable credentials, including becoming a premier destination for world-class degrees.

We currently offer four programs with the University of Illinois and HEC Paris, and in the video above, you can hear directly from university faculty and the students in these programs. I am heartened when I hear students like Dan Gartley in the University of Illinois’ MBA on Coursera say things like this: “I was shocked at how much it felt as good or better than when I was sitting in class in my undergraduate days.”

Together with our partners, we have built a new way to deliver an online learning experience that is rigorous and engaging as well as affordable and flexible.

Today, we are making that learning experience available to more people around the world with the announcement of six new degrees that will be added to our platform from some of the world’s best universities. Arizona State University, Imperial College London, the University of Illinois, the University of London, and the University of Michigan will partner with Coursera to build online degrees in fields where jobs are booming like computer science, business, and healthcare.

What we’re seeing is that MOOCs are a gateway to online degrees — more than 50% of degree students took one of our partner’s open online courses before applying to a degree program.

We’ve also learned that people want to be able to earn valuable credentials along the way to earning a degree. To fulfill this need, we are piloting MasterTrack™ Certificates with the University of Michigan in Construction Management and with the University of Illinois in Digital Marketing and Instructional Design. With MasterTrack™ Certificates, we’ve split Masters programs into modules so learners can earn a career credential online at a breakthrough price and benefit from real-world projects and live expert instruction, just like in the degree learning experience. If someone is accepted to the full Master’s program, their MasterTrack™ Certificate counts towards the degree.

We are excited to continue to work with our university partners to make valuable credentials and degrees within the reach of anyone, anywhere.

The post Degrees and Credentials Built for Today’s Learners appeared first on Coursera Blog.

Continue reading...