Coursera: Which is better for beginners to learn the subject, the "Algorithms- Design and...

Quora Feeds

Siddhanth Deshpande

Having taken both courses, I can now firmly say that both courses are equally brilliant- there is something to take away from both courses.

Roughgarden's course is more focused on conceptual details and Sedgewick's course is more focused on implementation (in Java) details- however this does not mean that Roughgarden does not provide implementation details (he provides pseudocode which is easily translatable into various programming languages) or that Sedgewick does not focus on conceptual details (he explains very well how different algorithms and data structures were derived from and are related to each other).

A few other minor differences follow: Roughgarden devotes a lot more time to the mathematical analysis and proofs of theorems and postulates. Sedgewick's course is full of a lot of simulations that are very useful in visualizing how algorithms work, and he also throws in the occasional video and/or (computer science) war story that prompts an interesting line of thought.

Overall, both Sedgewick and Roughgarden both have a knack for lucid explanation. Both provide plenty of real world use cases for the stuff they had included in the course syllabus. Both provide good exercises in concept, theory and programming.

I honestly believe that I benefited from having taken both courses. Not much of the one was redundant having taken the other. Both professors being as brilliant as they are, knowledge imparted by one only adds to knowledge imparted by the other.

I recommend both courses for interested parties.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...