Can you get a job after finishing Codeacademy and Treehouse?

Quora Feeds

Chris Sean

Hello,

I'll tell you how I did it in 3 months. And it changed my life forever.

I actually started blogging about my life as a developer and even shared this story with a YouTuber who ended up making a video about my story. It’s great because I’m hoping what I went through will encourage many others to not give up and really see that their dream of becoming a developer is very possible. You can check out the video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...
So lets start.

I watched that famous YouTube video about how coding is the future and where the best Jobs and quality of life are at. Watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...
For months, I began watching hours and hours of motivational videos that encouraged you to try out coding. Constantly telling you that coding is not as hard as you think.

After 3 months of contemplating, I decided to give it a go when I saw that Team treehouse was giving 50% discounts off your first month = $12.50. Why not give it a shot?

You can get 50% off here in their referral program - - > http://referrals.trhou.se/chrissean

So month #1 began. I enrolled in their front end development track and learned how to make a website.

I'm not going to lie. It was extremely hard. I had no idea what I was learning, everything was new. I couldn't retain anything I learned. But I still persevered. I pushed through it and made my first basic website. Wish was amazing to me!

I ended up going through their css track and because I wanted to have a stronger foundation in css and html, I learned html and css all over again at udacity.

I did this for 2 months. Then I decided to try and make my own website from scratch. Why? Well, if I want to get a job I should at least build my own website right?

So I decided to create a website using the Bootstrap 3 framework (btw is absolutely amazing!). But I rarely put much effort since I thought I wouldn't find a job in the Web industry for at least 2 years. I mean who would hire me with so little experience?

So I kept building a stronger foundation in css and html while learning bootstrap.

Month #3 - My boss brings me into the office and threatens to fire me if I didn't improve since I didn't seem interested in what my current company was trying to accomplish. I was thankful for the job but It was a dead end job with no future. (I secretly taught myself code during work).

I realized I might lose my job soon and after 3 months of coding, I decided to apply not just for another office job, but I made it a goal to apply to 2 Web developer jobs a day, everyday until I find a new job.

After 2 weeks of applying, I got a response from the CEO of a merchant processing company for a PHP Developer position. At this time, I had ZERO experience in PHP.

Knowing my chances where very slim to get the job, especially with it being my first interview in this industry, I knew I had to do something to help me get the job. So I finally finished my simple one page website.

I was asked to interview the next day. I stayed up till 2 am fixing my website. Showed it to the owner during the interview. He said he loved how passionate I was, and even though I have no experience in PHP, he decided to give me the job ON THE SPOT.

He offered me a salary of $45k. And if I grew my skill in PHP within my probationary period, he would raise it to $60k! Someone who doesn't even have intermediate skill in html or css was given a salary at this range? It blew me away.

You have to understand, just 6 months before I was paid $32k/year. My current job at thst time was $37k. This was a life changer, so I accepted it immediately,

How to get a job in 6 months? Work work work. Study your butt off, make websites immediately. It not for a client, at least for yourself. Create something to show them. Go to the freelance website UpWork.com and try to get clients that way.

No matter what you do, do not wait too long to start applying for real jobs. They are out there. Their demand for us is real. There are thousands of ppl like you and me who thought they shouldn't apply for a job because you don't meet the requirements to be a "real" developer. In result those thousands of people will miss out on opportunities you are going for. Just do it!

Good luck!

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...