Software Engineering: Is computer science really a young man's game and is it too late to...

Quora Feeds

Paul DeVos

1. You probably do NOT want to work at Google or Microsoft. You just don't. If you like seeing iterations of software done quickly and the pace of learning high - you won't like those places. I worked at Google. I worked at Match.com. I'm working at IBM now.

The bigger the software team and the bigger the company the less breadth you'll have and you'll have to be 'one of many' guys doing basic bugs on larger teams. I've also worked on a startup and man was that exciting. The world is your oyster - every open source project, idea, or technology is a possibility. I was a Data Engineer (NoSQL/SQL), a Database Administrator, a Reports Developer, I wrote algorithms for fraud detection thus a fraud detection expert, and I was a Data Scientist analyzing click-stream data. And I could work from home whenever I wanted. We had a beer fridge at work when we did get together.

Note: There may be more freedoms on various teams at Google or Microsoft or other large firms. But chances aren't very high. I would make sure you do your due diligence in understanding how you will contribute to the team you're on and the scope of the work you will be able to touch and influence. John L. Miller's answer is exactly how I felt at Google: John L. Miller's answer to What is the worst part about working at Google?

2. I was 30 before I learned SQL and my career change from a high school math teacher and I soon became a Database Engineer. The rest is history as they say. Getting your first developer job will tell you what you need to know and you'll be able to iterate from there.

I'm not an exclusive case, there's room in the inn in the tech industry for people who are willing to out learn and outwork others.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...

Athira

software development services companies always prefer employees who have a bachelor's degree in computer science or information technology to work as software engineers. This is because employers believe that a person who knows the software development process can contribute more to the organization.

Last edited: