Is analyzing simple programs an effective way to learn Java programming for a complete...

Quora Feeds

Carlos Matias La Borde

To be honest, I always hear people say this, but I rarely do it. I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, it's very possible that I just have some weird blind spot, but I don't go out of my way read code. When I do it for my job (which happens every month or so) I don't find it that hard or enlightening. It's just a thing you do to understand a project quickly or to debug or add a feature.
It's nice to see good code. Good code is easy on the eyes and makes sense in a nice way on a logical level. But it's not like I'm getting a lot out of it. Best practices are easy to find, if you follow those you'll pretty much get as much as you would have got out of reading code.
If I wanted to learn programming, I would just try programming. Then keep trying it. If you want a good way to improve, write a program that successfully does something, then scrap it, as in completely delete that code and resolve that problem, rewrite that code. It will always be better the second time. Still think it could be better? Scrap it and do it yet again. That's a great way to become cognizant of problems and to look for ways to improve.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...