Does certificates from websites like Coursera, Udacity or Edx help you get a job?

Quora Feeds

Anant Agarwal

With a competitive job market, showcasing a certificate from MOOCs demonstrates that you have a valuable set of skills and have taken the initiative to learn. Also, do not underestimate the value of non-technical skills, like initiative, communications, leadership in job interviews! Further, if you have completed a program of courses like the MicroMasters Program or the Professional Certificate Program on edX, it shows a deep knowledge in a specialized field, which can help you stand out as a candidate.

In a learner survey that edX conducted recently, 47% of the learners who have earned a certificate in career oriented courses have placed their certificate on their LinkedIn profiles, and 45% have included it in their resumes. 83% of the learners in the same survey said they learned a new skill in an edX course, and 43% of the learners said that they had a positive career outcome (promotion, raise, new job, career change, etc.) as a result of their edX certificate.

Statistics aside, and I’ve mentioned this before in a post, but a great example of an edX learner going on to receive a job is our edX learner, Akshay Kulkarni, who completed computer science and SaaS courses before applying to work at Microsoft India. Akshay credits receiving a job to work as a software engineer to the courses he took on edX. In his own words, “My interviews were short and mostly HR based because of all the courses I took at edX. One of the interviewers actually told me ‘Your credentials show you are good at technical stuff so we won’t waste time by quizzing you on that.’”

I also do want to point out that this question is exactly the reason why we launched our MicroMasters programs last week. Originally developed by MIT as a pilot program on Supply Chain Management, MicroMasters credentials bridge the gap between education and the workplace—providing learners the skills they need for getting a job. This new category of Master’s-level online education to advance careers in the most in-demand fields—from UX and artificial intelligence, to Android app development—while also offering a pathway to credit to an accelerated Master’s degree. These courses are created by our top university partners, valued by top companies, like Walmart and GE, and linked to specific career outcomes.

See Questions On Quora

Continue reading...